The Academy of Life Underwriting offers a series of examinations to the life insurance professional to develop their skills in life insurance risk assessment. Successful completion of the full exam series, together with a number of courses offered by the Academy's educational partners, leads a student to either the Fellow, Academy of Life Underwriting (FALU) designation or Medical Risk Assessment Professional (MRAP) designation.
Examinations will next be administered on Tuesday, April 19, 2022 from 9:00 am to 12:00 noon, local time. Students may register for and write only one exam during an exam cycle. All examinations are written in English. Each examination consists of 100 multiple-choice questions, each with a value of 1 point. All questions are based upon material listed in the reading syllabus. For ALU Exam 301, questions are based on the reading syllabus and upon information which a professional underwriter might reasonably be expected to know. Please note: The MRAP program is currently being phased out. MRAP-1 was offered for the last time in April 2021, and MRAP-2 will be offered for the last time in April 2022. After 2022, ALU will no longer offer the MRAP exam series.
Register for an ALU exam today and purchase the required books.
Current ALU and MRAP texts/editions:
- ALU 101 – Basic Life Insurance Underwriting - 10th Edition
- ALU 201 – Intermediate Medical Life Insurance Underwriting - 7th Edition
- ALU 202 – Intermediate Non-Medical Life Insurance Underwriting - 10th Edition
- ALU 301 – Advanced Life Insurance Underwriting - 9th Edition
- MRAP2 – Medical Risk Assessment Principles II - 1st edition
- Essentials of Anatomy and Physiology – 8th Edition
More information on the required textbooks and curriculum
- October 1, 2021 - Registration opens for the 2022 FALU and MRAP Exams.
- February 1, 2022 - Enrollment deadline for examinations at regular fee. Withdrawal deadline for refund of exam fee less a cancellation fee.
- March 1, 2022 - Enrollment deadline for examinations with additional late fee.
- April 19, 2022 - ALU examinations written 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon, local time. All examinations must be written at this time. Those not written at the scheduled time will not be accepted.
- June 1, 2022 - Announcement of examination results.