The Academy of Life Underwriting offers a series of examinations to the life insurance professional to develop their skills in life insurance risk assessment. Successful completion of the full exam series, together with a number of courses offered by the Academy's educational partners, leads a student to either the Fellow, Academy of Life Underwriting (FALU) designation or Medical Risk Assessment Professional (MRAP) designation.
Students may register for and write only one exam during an exam cycle. All examinations are written in English. Each examination consists of 100 multiple-choice questions, each with a value of 1 point. All questions are based upon material listed in the reading syllabus. For ALU Exam 301, questions are based on the reading syllabus and upon information which a professional underwriter might reasonably be expected to know. Please note: The MRAP program will be gradually phased out over the next 2 exam cycles. Both the MRAP-1 and MRAP-2 exams will be available for the April 2021 exam. MRAP-2 will be available for the April 2022 exam. After 2022, ALU will no longer offer the MRAP exam series.
2021 exams will be administered on April 27, 2021. These exams will be held virtually. In order for students to successfully take the ALU exam, all students must:
- Have a computer, students will not be able to access the exams on a mobile device or tablet.
- Have a stable internet connection. In general, if you can do a zoom call without issues, your internet connection should be sufficient for ALU exams.
- Have functioning cameras on their computer. Exams will be recorded and reviewed. No students will be able to proceed with their exam unless their camera is on and recording.
- Students will be required to utilize the most recent version of Chrome to access the exam.
- Exam resources: FAQ Document and Step By Step Guide
Registration for the April exams is currently closed.
- April 27, 2021 - FALU and MRAP Examinations written 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon, local time. All examinations must be written at this time. Those not written at the scheduled time will not be accepted.
- June 1, 2021 - Announcement of examination results.