The Academy of Life Underwriting offers a series of examinations to the life insurance professional to develop their skills in life insurance risk assessment. Successful completion of the full exam series, together with a number of courses offered by the Academy's educational partners, leads a student to either the Fellow, Academy of Life Underwriting (FALU) designation or Medical Risk Assessment Professional (MRAP) designation.
Examinations will next be administered VIRTUALLY on Tuesday, April 27, 2021 from 9:00 am to 12:00 noon, local time. Each examination consists of 100 multiple-choice questions, each with a value of 1 point. All questions are based upon material listed in the reading syllabus. For ALU Exam 301, questions are based on the reading syllabus and upon information which a professional underwriter might reasonably be expected to know.
Students may register for and write only one exam during an exam cycle. All examinations are written in English. Students will need to have a computer to take the exam. Students will not be able to complete the examinations on a mobile device or tablet. All students must have a functioning web camera. Students will be required to utilize Chrome to access the exam.
Register for an ALU exam today and purchase the required books.
Please note: The MRAP program will be gradually phased out over the next 2 exam cycles. Both the MRAP-1 and MRAP-2 exams will be available for the April 2021 exam. MRAP-2 will be available for the April 2022 exam. After 2022, ALU will no longer offer the MRAP exam series.
Current ALU and MRAP texts/editions:
- ALU 101 – Basic Life Insurance Underwriting - 9th Edition
- ALU 201 – Intermediate Medical Life Insurance Underwriting - 7th Edition
- ALU 202 – Intermediate Non-Medical Life Insurance Underwriting - 9th Edition
- ALU 301 – Advanced Life Insurance Underwriting - 9th Edition
- MRAP1 – Medical Risk Assessment Principles -1st edition
- MRAP2 – Medical Risk Assessment Principles II - 1st edition
- Essentials of Anatomy and Physiology – 8th Edition
More information on the required textbooks and curriculum
- October 1, 2020 - Registration opens for the 2021 FALU and MRAP Exams.
- March 1, 2021 - Enrollment deadline for examinations.
- April 27, 2021 - FALU and MRAP Examinations written 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon, local time. All examinations must be written at this time. Those not written at the scheduled time will not be accepted.
- June 1, 2021 - Announcement of examination results.